Mung Daal With Courgettes And Peas
Yellow Mung Daal – one cup full or handful or more. Soak in hot water for 30 minutes
- Oil 1-2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/4tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/4tspn
- Green chillies chopped – optional
- Fresh ginger chopped 1/2tspn
- Garlic chopped – 1/2tspn
- Fresh turmeric chopped 1/2tspn (optional)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tspn to 1 tspn
- Spring onion chopped – one
- Courgettes chopped in cubes – half or one courgette
- Peas – one cup full
- Cooked rice – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 tspn (optional)
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat oil to quite hot
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chopped chillies
- Then add ginger, garlic, fresh turmeric
- The add spring onions and cook for a few minutes
- Then add turmeric powder and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Add the soaked yellow mung daal. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes
- Add all the vegetables – courgettes and peas.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the courgettes are soft and well cooked.
- Add salt and lemon juice.
- Optional – Add 1 tablespoon cooked rice if you want to. It tastes really good
- Add chopped coriander as a garnish
- This can be had as a standalone main meal.
- You can also enjoy this vegetarian recipe with a bowl of hot vegetable soup or the Indian tomato soup.