Ginger and Honey Chutney
The recipe of Ginger and Honey chutney is one of my favorites. One, because it is quite easy to make, two – one can make a big batch and use it as and when need and three – most importantly it’s beneficial in many different ailments and illnesses.
Ayurveda is unique in a way that it talks about including all six tastes in every meal. The six tastes are sweet, sour, salty, spicy, bitter ad astringent. And the beauty of ginger and honey chutney is that it has all six tastes.
But first the recipe:
- Fresh grated ginger – ½ a cup
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Crushed black pepper – 1/4th teaspoon
- Salt to taste – pinchful
But bear in mind, you can always change the proportion based on what taste you like. One could increase honey or lemon juice if they wanted to.
Mix it all up; transfer in an air tight container and off it goes into the fridge to be stored.
Best way to use it:
1/4th teaspoon of the chutney, to be mixed in a mug of hot water.
When could you take it?
- To be honest, any time of the day. If you need that energy lift, want to feel light, want to get rid of that heaviness, there you go, your special remedy is at hand!
But for more targeted effect and benefits read the following:
- If one has very weak appetite and doesn’t feel hungry at all, take the above 15 minutes before every meal. The combination of ingredients helps to stimulate the digestive fire and hence the appetite.
- If one says that they feel really heavy after a meal and can’t be bothered moving, then take above drink approximately 15 minutes after each meal. Once again it helps to remove the heaviness one feels after food and also helps to quickly digest the food.
- If one is looking to lose weight, drink the ginger, honey, hot water every morning on an empty stomach. Once having had it, continue to drink hot water and make sure not to eat anything solid for at least an hour.
- If one suffers from congested sinuses or chest congestion, drink the mixture every four hours to help liquefy and remove congestion.
- If you are looking to do a short cleanse, the ginger honey mixture is a very good part of your daily warm drinks.
- One can simply drink the mixture every day as a part of a healthy living lifestyle.
Other ways of taking the Ginger & Honey Chutney:
Simply add 1 teaspoon to your green smoothie.
You could also add it to fruit smoothies.
Similarly this mixture can be added to any of the soups made at home.
I sometimes add this mixture to my English breakfast tea in the morning and I must admit it reminds me the taste of the Chai in India! And you must definitely give it a try.
I look forward to hearing your feedback about this wonderful and yet very simple Ayurvedic recipe.
If you are looking to study Ayurveda don’t forget to check out our website www.AyurvedaPura.com for all the courses that are offered.