Summer is definitely on the way out with days getting shorter! But the wonderful news is that Autumn is here. And it’s just the right time as the body needs a short rest and break from the busy-ness of summer.
Seasons also make us aware of all the changes taking place around us. It’s so essential that we take that break for ourselves from our gadgets, our little inner worlds, look around and take in all the beauty nature has to provide us.
Ayurveda talks about various ways one can integrate into our lifestyle to easily adapt into the changes weather of Autumn.
Autumn is the period of the year when Vata is predominant not only in the atmosphere and environment but also in our bodies. The weather is generally light, dry, cold, windy, rough and empty. During this time of the year one will start experiencing more dryness, coldness, lightness which may translate into changes with sleep patterns, body aches and pains especially aggravation of imbalances like arthritis. This is also the season when breathing ailments like asthma may become more aggravated. One may also experience dry light stools leading to constipation.
During autumn season the main aim is to alleviate dryness, coldness and lightness from the body.
Autumn is also a junction of two seasons – summer and winter. And at a seasonal junction, Ayurveda highly recommends a cleanse of the body, mind and emotions.
5 Simple – Autumn Home Cleanse Suggestions:
The following can be followed as a one week plan or to integrate as and when you are able to, during Autumn Time:
- Oil Pulling regularly every morning on empty stomach with warmed up Sesame Seed Oil. Click Here to Buy
- Start your day with 200ml warm/hot water on empty stomach, first thing in the morning. Add Ayurveda Pura’s Pure Natural Ghee, 1 teaspoon to this water. (this is to be done after oil pulling).
- Follow a 3 Day Kitchadi Cleanse when you can: Prepare Kitchadi based on my Traditional Ayurvedic Recipe, Click Here. Have this for lunch and dinner for 3 days. Make sure to include steamed salads with this Kitchadi.
- Vegetarian soup as and when you can. Ideally at least every three days.
- Ayurveda Pura’s Organic Triphala, 2 capsules every evening. Click Here to Buy
General suggestions for Autumn:
Find below 2 suggestions from the five approaches of Ayurveda to be followed during Autumn time:
- Avoid cold salads especially towards evening. Plenty of warm foods, like soups, stews, cooked foods.
- Ayurveda Pura’s Orange and Fennel Bliss Herbal Tea – preferably in the evening after dinner. Click here to Buy
- Ayurveda Pura’s Organic Ashwagandha: It is also called as one of the Autumn Warmers in Ayurveda. It has warm grounding qualities. It is a very good herb for calming the nervous system and also strengthening it. Click Here to Buy
- Ayurveda Pura’s Organic Tulsi: Not any people talk about this herb. Also known as Holy Basil, this herb is one of the Autumn essentials. It helps to strengthen and stimulate the respiratory system hence preventing any symptoms of Asthma or breathing difficulties during autumn season. Click Here to Buy
Abhyanga: Autumn is the best time for Ayurvedic warm oil massages. Full body oil massages help to remove dryness and lightness caused by Vata Dosha.
Shirodhara: Also called as king of all treatments in Ayurveda, this is the signature treatment for Autumn season. Shirodhara helps to nourish the nervous system, prevents any sleep related imbalances. It has very good calming and grounding effects.
- Sun Salutations help to warm up the Nadis and systems and hence will help towards the cleansing on the body and mind.
- Pranayama: Autumn is the best time to focus on the breath. All kind of breathing exercises are beneficial.
- Alternate nostril breathing
- Cleansing breath exercise
- Breath of Fire
- Right Nostril breathing
Ayurvedic Oil Pulling is the best daily routine for autumn season. This technique helps to get rid of any dryness from the body, nourishes the tissues and systems and stimulates the immune system
Regular walks in the open nature help the body to absorb in the much needed oxygen and Prana. A 15 minute walk every day should help.
If You Have any questions please ask below: